Blizzard's Diablo 3 was the fifth most-searched Internet term worldwide this year, according to the 2012 Google Zeitgeist.
The PC game is in line behind late singer Whitney Houston, now-infamous Gangnam Style, Hurricane Sandy and the iPad 3 in the year's top ten list of most searched terms. Just below Diablo 3 are Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton and the 2012 Olympics.
Diablo 3 was also the number one most-searched video game in the United States alone. Following in order are Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, Skyrim, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Madden NFL 13, Resident Evil 6, WrestleMania XXVIII and FIFA 13. At the top of the mobile and tablet apps list is Imanji Studio's endless runner Temple Run at number one, while OMGPOP's Draw Something is number four and Angry Birds Space sits at number seven.
Worldwide, Mojang's Minecraft made the most frequently searched images list at number eight, ranking below the iPhone 5 and a handful of pop music celebrities including Rhianna and One Direction.
PlayStation (written on Zeitgeist as "Play Station) is also number six on the list of trending consumer electronics.
See what searches were the most popular in your country at the Google Zeitgeist page.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- Shadowrun Returns gets a Director's Cut of its expansion this September
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'