The 2013 Game Developers Choice Awards is now open for nominations, with 10 categories available for its regular awards and three categories for its special awards.
The award ceremony is held each year during the Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco and the winners are hand-picked by a group comprised of 500 "leading game creators from across the video game industry." The winners of the special awards are chosen by the Game Developers Choice advisory board, which comprises of developers like Blizzard Entertainment, Bungie, CCP, Valve, Zynga and more.
Video game professionals from around the world can nominate games for the awards by registering for a gamasutra.com account and nominating over at the Game Developers Choice Awards website.
The regular categories are:
- Best Audio
- Best Debut Game
- Best Downloadable Game
- Best Handheld/Mobile game
- Best Game Design
- Best Narrative
- Best Technology
- Best Visual Arts
- Innovation Award
- Game of the Year
- Audience Award (voting open on Feb. 4, 2013)
Special categories are:
- Lifetime Achievement
- Pioneer Award
- Ambassador Award
The award ceremony will take place on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at the San Francisco Moscone Convention Center.
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- Final Fantasy designer Tetsuya Nomura shows his extreme take on Batman