This week on the iOS Watch List, we've got a blast from the past, the first iOS game from Double Fine Productions and a rhythm game brought low by outlandish IAP.
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition ($9.99)
It's a remake of the original Baldur's Gate, which released way back in 1998. This version has been updated with some of the fan-created mods from over the years, as well as full touch controls. In terms of bang for your buck, it's a pretty good deal at $9.99, given that the full game is liable to take you around 60 to 80 hours to complete. That said, the graphics haven't exactly aged well, so set expectations accordingly.
Middle Manager of Justice (Free)
The studio that brought you Psychonauts is now dipping its toes into iOS waters. Its first attempt is Middle Manager of Justice, which places you at the helm (or...slightly below the helm) of a burgeoning super hero emporium. While the gameplay doesn't diverge too much from all the other iOS time management games, the Double Fine sense of humor and style comes through loud and clear.
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Free...ish)
For fans of Final Fantasy, Theatrhythm is an absolute delight. It's basically a rhythm game featuring the music from the series, but with a wholly original art style which reimagines just about all the major characters from 13 of your favorite FF titles. That's the good news. The bad news is that, while the game is free, it only comes with two songs. Additional songs can be purchased for $3 for a pack of four (or $39 for every song in the game). Even more outlandish, characters can be purchased for two bucks a pop, and there are 25 of those. Yes, this game may be free, but to unlock all of its content? Be prepared to shell out $90! Don't forget, the very same game is available on 3DS for $30.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Batman Returns (Wed 5 Mar)