Apple has selected what it calls the year's best releases for iOS, naming platformer Rayman Jungle Run and puzzle game The Room the best iPhone and iPad games of 2012, respectively.
Multiplayer word game Letterpress for iPhone and space adventure Waking Mars for iPad were named as game of the year runners-up, with the editors at the App Store highlighting other key 2012 releases in various categories.
The App Store also gives a shout out to some iOS "Hidden Games" from 2012, including Nihilumbra, The Sandbox, Triple Town, Sir Benfro's Brilliant Balloon Games, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective and Wizorb for iPhone and Eufloria HD, Gasketball and Incoboto for iPad. The Best of 2012 list names iOS titles like The Walking Dead, The World Ends With You: Solo Remix and Bastion as "Showpiece Games" for the platform.
The App Store's Best of 2012 list also lists the year's top sellers, which was led by Rovio's Angry Birds Space. Other iOS games in the year's best-selling apps list include Draw Something, Where's My Water, Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds Star Wars and Bejeweled.
In addition to games and apps, the iTunes' Best of 2012 touches on the best music, movies, books and podcasts.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?