God of War's gruff hero, Kratos, is easily recognized by his red design, but the character's first look painted him a different color, according to a recent post from director David Jaffe.
Jaffe posted an image of Kratos's original design, featured above, and explained that the change was made after one team member noticed a striking similarity to another game.
"Literally days before we announced the first game to the press, this was Kratos," Jaffe wrote. "And then someone on the team ... showed us [a Barbarian from Diablo 2]."
"I had played Diablo 1 but never 2, and this was sure news to me," Jaffe wrote. "As it was clearly to many/all others on the team, as this was the first time we'd heard of the character, let alone the similarity."
Kratos was quickly given a makeover, spawning the blood red players know today.
The redesign isn't the only developer factoid posted on Jaffe's blog. Recently, Jaffe uploaded photos of cancelled game Heartland.
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- Russian and German armor clash in Combat Mission: Red Thunder
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- 'The Players' Score: A Videogame Music Documentary' is headed to Kickstarter with composers you'll recognize
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort