God of War's gruff hero, Kratos, is easily recognized by his red design, but the character's first look painted him a different color, according to a recent post from director David Jaffe.
Jaffe posted an image of Kratos's original design, featured above, and explained that the change was made after one team member noticed a striking similarity to another game.
"Literally days before we announced the first game to the press, this was Kratos," Jaffe wrote. "And then someone on the team ... showed us [a Barbarian from Diablo 2]."
"I had played Diablo 1 but never 2, and this was sure news to me," Jaffe wrote. "As it was clearly to many/all others on the team, as this was the first time we'd heard of the character, let alone the similarity."
Kratos was quickly given a makeover, spawning the blood red players know today.
The redesign isn't the only developer factoid posted on Jaffe's blog. Recently, Jaffe uploaded photos of cancelled game Heartland.
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- Dota 2 team Newbee just won The International 4 — along with the largest eSports prize pool in history
- Your first look at Agent Locke in Ridley Scott's Halo: Nightfall
- I'm reviewing every FMV game because I'm broken inside
- Quit Twitter before you're hard, quit Instagram before you're soft