Square Enix has laid off several employees in its LA office, senior director of public relations Reilly Brennan confirmed to Massively.
Speaking with the publication, Reilly Brennan said that layoffs were for restructuring purposes, although the reshuffling will not affect online games such as Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. The company has issued the following statement:
"In order to ensure it is operating effectively, the Square Enix Los Angeles office has reduced its workforce. This was a difficult decision and we wish the best for those affected by these changes. The decision will not have any impact on the operations of MMO titles. Customers can expect those services to continue, including the upcoming launch of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn."
It is still unclear which departments were actually affected. When contacted for comment, Square Enix repeated the aforementioned statement.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- When a successful game is a failure
- How the E.T. documentary chronicles the birth of the unsatisfied game consumer