In an open letter to the game's community, The War Z executive producer Sergey Titov admitted that developer Hammerpoint Interactive "failed to effectively communicate" its plans for the game and blamed himself for the "haters" flooding the game's Steam page and forums with negative feedback.
"I became arrogant and blinded by the early success and quick growth of The War Z, our increasing number of players, numbers we were getting from surveys, etc., and I chose not to notice the concerns and questions raised by these members of the game community as well as others," wrote Titov. "I chose instead to concentrate on the bigger picture — my dream of turning The War Z from being a game developed by a small indie team into a large online venture, instead of addressing small things first and staying focused on the game issues."
Titov said he was "too focused on how great we are" and proud, and now regrets not addressing the concerns sooner.
Titov blamed community negativity on the development team's absence from the forums, and a lack of updates on planned features. He also said the team relied too much on numbers and actively tuned out negative feedback. Titov's solution includes stricter forum policies and more Hammerpoint involvement on the forums. He also shared his idea to invite 10 The War Z players to the company's headquarters in Los Angeles in order to see the game's progress themselves.
The producer also clarified that the current version of The War Z is the "Foundation Release," or the "first-stage release that [they] use as a foundation to build upon" with all core playable features present.
The War Z was released on Steam on Dec. 19, but was pulled down the same day due to an overwhelmingly negative response from the Steam community.
Titov's full letter can be read on The War Z forums.
- Development hell: The video game
- Want to save time and money? Stop buying games at launch
- The best Pokémon videos on the web
- Which games company do developers most want to work for?
- To win this board game you must become an anime character
- Real exoplanets inspire Civilization: Beyond Earth pre-order deal
- Two fish are playing Street Fighter 2 right now and you're missing it
- Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas' Frostwyrm Lair embarrassed us in front of you
- Ghost-catching RPG Youkai Watch could come West next year
- 1080p will come to Xbox One games, but at a cost
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- What's a good game for a 65-year old first time gamer?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Feature to track games?
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?