A refurbished Nintendo 3DS containing nine pornographic images was sold at a U.S. GameStop retailer, which was subsequently gifted to a five-year-old boy for Christmas, The Daily Mail reports.
A Colorado father had purchased the refurbished 3DS for his son without knowing that the device came pre-loaded with nine racy images that had been taken by its previous owner.
In an interview with 9News, the father, Mark Giles, said that upon his son discovering the images he immediately called the GameStop retailer from which the 3DS was purchased.
In a statement sent to 9News, GameStop's corporate office said:
GameStop is currently researching this situation. We have a rigorous quality control process in place to ensure that existing content is removed from all devices before they are re-sold.
Out of millions of transactions each year, ones like this happen very rarely. Our number one priority is to make this right for our customer.
It is understood that the retailer has since given the family a brand new 3DS and some games, but Giles says he is more concerned with his son's wellbeing.
"You can't unsee this," he told 9News. "He's five-years-old. Maybe when he's 18 or 20 maybe he won't know anything about it but he's not going to forget about it tomorrow."
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- How cows predicted the seedy underbelly of social gaming
- Freedom Planet gameplay video - A Sega Genesis-style gem
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- A New Steam Controller