A refurbished Nintendo 3DS containing nine pornographic images was sold at a U.S. GameStop retailer, which was subsequently gifted to a five-year-old boy for Christmas, The Daily Mail reports.
A Colorado father had purchased the refurbished 3DS for his son without knowing that the device came pre-loaded with nine racy images that had been taken by its previous owner.
In an interview with 9News, the father, Mark Giles, said that upon his son discovering the images he immediately called the GameStop retailer from which the 3DS was purchased.
In a statement sent to 9News, GameStop's corporate office said:
GameStop is currently researching this situation. We have a rigorous quality control process in place to ensure that existing content is removed from all devices before they are re-sold.
Out of millions of transactions each year, ones like this happen very rarely. Our number one priority is to make this right for our customer.
It is understood that the retailer has since given the family a brand new 3DS and some games, but Giles says he is more concerned with his son's wellbeing.
"You can't unsee this," he told 9News. "He's five-years-old. Maybe when he's 18 or 20 maybe he won't know anything about it but he's not going to forget about it tomorrow."
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???