A refurbished Nintendo 3DS containing nine pornographic images was sold at a U.S. GameStop retailer, which was subsequently gifted to a five-year-old boy for Christmas, The Daily Mail reports.
A Colorado father had purchased the refurbished 3DS for his son without knowing that the device came pre-loaded with nine racy images that had been taken by its previous owner.
In an interview with 9News, the father, Mark Giles, said that upon his son discovering the images he immediately called the GameStop retailer from which the 3DS was purchased.
In a statement sent to 9News, GameStop's corporate office said:
GameStop is currently researching this situation. We have a rigorous quality control process in place to ensure that existing content is removed from all devices before they are re-sold.
Out of millions of transactions each year, ones like this happen very rarely. Our number one priority is to make this right for our customer.
It is understood that the retailer has since given the family a brand new 3DS and some games, but Giles says he is more concerned with his son's wellbeing.
"You can't unsee this," he told 9News. "He's five-years-old. Maybe when he's 18 or 20 maybe he won't know anything about it but he's not going to forget about it tomorrow."
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- Blizzard silenced Hearthstone players, and it made the game amazing
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Guild Wars' nine year anniversary festivities kick off April 22
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Post Your Rig!
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- PC/MAC Strategy Games Like Warcraft II