Some Xbox Live users are currently experiencing a variety of issues with the service, including an inability to sign in or access the Xbox website, and Microsoft is working on the problem.
According to the Xbox Live status page, which a few of us are currently unable to load, some users are having trouble buying content on Xbox Live Marketplace, adding Microsoft Points to their accounts and viewing their Points balance. Those users are receiving error messages with the codes 80154080 and 8015000A. At least one respondent to the Xbox Support Twitter account said he was unable to sign in using the SmartGlass app.
"We are working with our engineers toward a fix as fast as we can," said Microsoft's most recent update on the Marketplace issues, which came at 12:42 p.m. ET. A similar update was posted at 12:28 p.m. ET for the sign-in and website problems.
We'll keep you posted on the situation.
Update: According to an update on the Xbox Live Service Status page, purchasing capabilities have been restored as of 2:01 p.m. ET. Users previously receiving 80154080 and 8015000A error messages should be able to buy Microsoft Points once again.
Update 2: The Marketplace issues are gone, but a new problem has cropped up, according to an update posted to the Xbox Live status page at 3:02 p.m. ET: Users are having difficulty accessing save games and other data in the Xbox 360's cloud storage, and are seeing error code 0x807b0198. "We are working closely with our engineers to restore Cloud functionality," Microsoft said.
Update 3: The Xbox Live cloud save feature is back online and Xbox is compensating those affected with a free month of Xbox Live Gold membership. A statement published on Major Nelson's blog read:
We want to thank all of our Xbox LIVE members impacted by the Cloud Saved Games service issue for your patience and understanding. It took longer than we expected to get back to full performance as we needed to ensure the integrity of everyone's game saves. Whether you couldn't access your game saves for a couple of hours or a couple of days, we sincerely apologize for the delay and inconvenience. We will be automatically applying a one-month extension to the Xbox LIVE Gold memberships of everyone who was impacted. We can assure you we'll also be doing a thorough post mortem to help prevent this from happening again.
The statement also says that the company knows exactly who was affected and will be automatically applying the free month of Xbox Live Gold membership to those users' accounts.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Themes are coming to PlayStation 4 and PS Vita
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Bloodborne comes to PS4 on Feb. 5
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?