Gaming platforms might continue to evolve with mobile, tablets and more, but gamers' tastes are still suited to the experience they want, Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney told Gamasutra in a recent interview.
With the next generation of gaming just on the horizon, Sweeney spoke on the future of consoles as they continue to go head-to-head with emerging platforms.
"The platform equation is getting a lot more interesting nowadays, but gamers aren't changing that much," Sweeney said. "There are still hardcore gamers who want to play games where you sit down and have a very immersive experience for two or three hours at a time."
Sweeney said that different games will be designed for different platforms — like iPad versus console or PC. He gives the example of iPhone games, which are meant to be played a few minutes at a time. Consoles, however, are more suited to those who want to sit back and "have an awesome game experience."
"The console is a very immersive way to play games," Sweeney said. "They're more immersive than sitting in a chair in front of your computer with a mouse in a bright room."
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- What's a good game for a 65-year old first time gamer?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Feature to track games?
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?