Gaming platforms might continue to evolve with mobile, tablets and more, but gamers' tastes are still suited to the experience they want, Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney told Gamasutra in a recent interview.
With the next generation of gaming just on the horizon, Sweeney spoke on the future of consoles as they continue to go head-to-head with emerging platforms.
"The platform equation is getting a lot more interesting nowadays, but gamers aren't changing that much," Sweeney said. "There are still hardcore gamers who want to play games where you sit down and have a very immersive experience for two or three hours at a time."
Sweeney said that different games will be designed for different platforms — like iPad versus console or PC. He gives the example of iPhone games, which are meant to be played a few minutes at a time. Consoles, however, are more suited to those who want to sit back and "have an awesome game experience."
"The console is a very immersive way to play games," Sweeney said. "They're more immersive than sitting in a chair in front of your computer with a mouse in a bright room."
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)
- Looking for Game Suggestions
- Game contoller for PC
- inFamous Screenshot Potluck Extravaganza!
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Is Polygon Live discontinued?
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Public Holidays = Relax! (Fri 18 Apr)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS