Windows 8 is outpacing all variants of the current Mac OS by nearly three percent more usage on Steam, according to the November Steam hardware and software survey.
Windows 8 is the fourth most-used system for Steam, with a combined 4.69 percent of 32-bit and 64-bit version users, more than Mac OS versions 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 combined. The software's popularity has increased by 2.66 percent since October.
Its previous incarnation Windows 7 shows a 0.74 percent drop for the 64-bit version and 0.11 percent drop for its 32-bit version, though it continues to sit at the head of the pack with a total of 72.56 percent running the software.
Steam's hardware and software surveys are opt-in, so the above numbers reflect volunteered responses and not complete totals. In addition, many titles in Steam's library are not compatible with Mac systems, with 328 games currently available.
Earlier this year, Valve's own Gabe Newell called Windows 8 "a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space," stating that it will push "some of the top tier PC / OEMs" out of the market.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Skylanders launching more powerful premium figures this fall
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- PS4 Beta Codes