An upcoming alternate reality game tied into Funcom's The Secret World MMO will take place in the run-up to a Dec. 21 "cataclysmic event," according to a press release from the developer.
"Mankind has been warned," the press release reads. "On December 21st there will be a cataclysmic event that marks the end of time as we know it. It is time to prepare."
The ARG, which is "set in and around The Secret World universe", does not require an active account for participation. It is, however, timed to coincide with the Mayan apocalypse, an event for which all good survivalists have been stocking up on canned goods, may correlate with in-game events. The game will begin "in a few days," according to the press release.
- Want to win the console war? Here's how
- But WHAT CAN BE DONE: dos and don'ts to combat online sexism
- The most progressive game of the summer is the one you're probably not playing
- How to join Nintendo's roving band of Smash Bros. players at Comic-Con
- Why is 2K suddenly so preoccupied with the original BioShock?
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today