Mafia Wars 2 is the latest Zynga title on the chopping block, according to a statement from the social games developer confirming on Facebook the Mafia Wars sequel will shut down on Dec. 30.
Earlier in October, Zynga's CEO Mark Pincus announced in an internal memo that 13 under-performing titles would come to an end. One month later the company confirmed Zynga titles Treasure Isle and FishVille would be the first of these 13 titles to shut down starting Dec. 5.
The closure of Mafia Wars 2 is likely a result of similar poor performance. As of today, the sequel to the popular Mafia Wars title has only 280,000 monthly users and a mere 20,000 daily players.
According to the game's app page, former Mafia Wars 2 players will receive a "one-time, complimentary bonus package" in CastleVille, ChefVille, FarmVille 2, Mafia Wars or YoVille. Once a game is chosen, the package will be added to the player's account "as soon as we can," writes Zynga. This offer is only valid until Dec. 30.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'