Mafia Wars 2 is the latest Zynga title on the chopping block, according to a statement from the social games developer confirming on Facebook the Mafia Wars sequel will shut down on Dec. 30.
Earlier in October, Zynga's CEO Mark Pincus announced in an internal memo that 13 under-performing titles would come to an end. One month later the company confirmed Zynga titles Treasure Isle and FishVille would be the first of these 13 titles to shut down starting Dec. 5.
The closure of Mafia Wars 2 is likely a result of similar poor performance. As of today, the sequel to the popular Mafia Wars title has only 280,000 monthly users and a mere 20,000 daily players.
According to the game's app page, former Mafia Wars 2 players will receive a "one-time, complimentary bonus package" in CastleVille, ChefVille, FarmVille 2, Mafia Wars or YoVille. Once a game is chosen, the package will be added to the player's account "as soon as we can," writes Zynga. This offer is only valid until Dec. 30.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Titanfall's Expedition DLC offers a 'parkour playground' with the 'War Games' map