Mafia Wars 2 is the latest Zynga title on the chopping block, according to a statement from the social games developer confirming on Facebook the Mafia Wars sequel will shut down on Dec. 30.
Earlier in October, Zynga's CEO Mark Pincus announced in an internal memo that 13 under-performing titles would come to an end. One month later the company confirmed Zynga titles Treasure Isle and FishVille would be the first of these 13 titles to shut down starting Dec. 5.
The closure of Mafia Wars 2 is likely a result of similar poor performance. As of today, the sequel to the popular Mafia Wars title has only 280,000 monthly users and a mere 20,000 daily players.
According to the game's app page, former Mafia Wars 2 players will receive a "one-time, complimentary bonus package" in CastleVille, ChefVille, FarmVille 2, Mafia Wars or YoVille. Once a game is chosen, the package will be added to the player's account "as soon as we can," writes Zynga. This offer is only valid until Dec. 30.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- $169 worth of awesome games (and Daikatana)