Music trivia game SongPop came in at the top of Facebook's list of the highest-rated social games of 2012, the company announced yesterday.
According to New York-based developer FreshPlanet, SongPop has been downloaded by more than 60 million players, and it leads every other app in driving song purchases from Facebook to iTunes.
The 25 games on the list reflect a few important trends in social games, said Julien Cordoniou, head of gaming partnerships for Facebook in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. "It was the most diverse and global year for social games to date — for those on Facebook.com, as well as games built with Facebook for iPhone, iPad and Android," according to Cordoniou.
Part of that diversity is geographical: The majority of games on the list were developed outside the U.S., coming from countries such as France, Spain, the U.K., Brazil, South Korea, Australia and Turkey. Zynga led American studios with six games on the list, including FarmVille 2, which remains the highest-grossing Facebook game, and Draw Something.
The list is ranked by players' star ratings and user engagement levels, and only consists of games that launched this year and maintained at least 100,000 monthly active users. It includes both Facebook titles and games that offer Facebook integration; 44 percent of the top 25 games were built for mobile devices. Here's the full list:
- SongPop (FreshPlanet, Facebook.com, iOS and Android)
- Dragon City (Social Point, Facebook.com)
- Bike Race (Top Free games, iOS)
- Subway Surfers (Kiloo, iOS and Android)
- Angry Birds Friends (Rovio, Facebook.com)
- FarmVille 2 (Zynga, Facebook.com)
- Scramble with Friends (Zynga, iOS)
- Clash of Clans (Supercell, iOS)
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance (Playdom, Facebook.com)
- Draw Something (Zynga, iOS and Android)
- Hay Day (Supercell, iOS)
- Baseball Heroes (Syntasia, Facebook.com)
- ChefVille (Zynga, Facebook.com)
- CSR Racing (NaturalMotion Games, iOS)
- Candy Crush Saga (King.com, Facebook.com and iOS)
- Matching With Friends (Zynga, on Facebook.com)
- Legend Online (Oasis Games, Facebook.com)
- Jurassic Park Builder (Ludia, Facebook.com)
- Dungeon Rampage (Rebel Entertainment, Facebook.com)
- Pockie Ninja 2 Social (NGames Limited, Facebook.com)
- Jetpack Joyride (Halfbrick, Facebook.com)
- Social Empires (Social Point, Facebook.com and iOS)
- Bil ve Fethet (Peak Games, Facebook.com)
- Ruby Blast Adventures (Zynga, Facebook.com and iOS)
- Pyramid Solitaire Saga (King.com, Facebook.com)
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- Yes, you can dress up like Link when Monster Hunter 4 comes stateside next year
- Scientifically Accurate Sonic is everything you never wanted to know about hedgehog poop
- 30-day P90X program comes to Xbox Fitness for $59.99
- How to unlock Thanatophobia, the almost impossible trophy, in Rogue Legacy
- Here's a first look at Agent 47 in the upcoming movie 'Hitman: Agent 47'