The next piece of downloadable content for BioWare's Mass Effect 3 requires "all hands on deck," bringing the game's main writers and chief composer back to the drawing room for a new add-on with "high potential for tears," according to various Mass Effect staff members reported through Eurogamer.
The content is in development at BioWare Edmonton, the studio behind the recently-released Mass Effect Trilogy compilation. Code hacking of previous downloadable content packs suggest the next one is a single-player affair focused on the Citadel. Eight writers have returned to work on the content, including lead writer Mac Walters.
"It's all hands on deck for this one. Pretty much every Mass Effect 3 DLC writer here in Edmonton is involved," designer Jos Hendriks wrote in a post on BioWare's official forums. "If my math skills are correct [that means] eight."
"What I'm up to lately: working on an unannounced Mass Effect 3 DLC!" tweeted chief composer Sam Hulick last night, whose last work on Mass Effect 3 was the Extended Cut's score. "Tossing in piano and muted strings for this one particular piece. High potential for tears."
Actor Seth Green, who plays Normandy pilot Joker, has also returned to do voice work, according to a tweet from BioWare producer and voice director Caroline Livingstone. Returning actors also include Raphael Sbarge, the voice of Systems Alliance Marine and original Shepard squadmate Kaidan Alenko.
This next piece of content will be the fifth single-player add-on for Mass Effect 3, following From Ashes, the Extended Cut, Leviathan and last month's Omega. Polygon has reached out to BioWare to ask when and on what platforms the DLC will be available, and whether it will be unavailable for the Wii U similar to Omega. We will update this story with more information as we have it.
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- How to unlock Thanatophobia, the almost impossible trophy, in Rogue Legacy
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- The Sailor's Dream is the new game from the dev of indie hits Year Walk and Device 6
- 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' teaser thick with Smaug
- How one kid in a Batman costume conquered San Francisco
- Why Shadowgate's developers want you dead
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?