The original Mass Effect in the Mass Effect Trilogy benefits from the lighting and visual effects improvements of Mass Effect 2 and 3 because those improvements have been combined with its original systems, according to external producer for the trilogy, Ryan Warden.
Posting to the PlayStation Blog, Warden says that BioWare partnered with Edge of Reality, an external team that has a deep understanding of how the PlayStation 3 works, to bring the original Mass Effect to Sony's console.
"We tinkered with the audio engine, and with the way that memory was allocated to various chunks of the game," he said. "We brought over some lighting and visual effects improvements from Mass Effect 2 and 3, and combined them with the original Mass Effect systems. In essence, we invited the Wu Tang Clan to a rap battle ... and it paid off.
"We got some huge gains in performance — especially with regard to texture popping, which has been dramatically improved — yet we were still able to maintain the classic look and feel of the introduction to the Mass Effect universe."
Warden says he is glad that PS3 owners will now be able to experience the full trilogy for the very first time and he is "really proud of the work that the team has done to bring Mass Effect Trilogy to PS3." To read Warden's complete blog post, visit the PlayStation Blog.
The Mass Effect Trilogy is available now on the PlayStation Network for $59.99.
- An awful week to care about video games
- How Salt and Sanctuary reimagines Dark Souls as a 2D action-platformer
- Valve taken to court by Australian consumer commission over Steam refund policy
- The pitch versus the reality: what one of gaming's biggest Kickstarters looks like now
- Dust: An Elysian Tail coming to PS4 'very soon'
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- Where to buy?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- On Being A "Gamer"
- On Patreon support
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here