The original Mass Effect in the Mass Effect Trilogy benefits from the lighting and visual effects improvements of Mass Effect 2 and 3 because those improvements have been combined with its original systems, according to external producer for the trilogy, Ryan Warden.
Posting to the PlayStation Blog, Warden says that BioWare partnered with Edge of Reality, an external team that has a deep understanding of how the PlayStation 3 works, to bring the original Mass Effect to Sony's console.
"We tinkered with the audio engine, and with the way that memory was allocated to various chunks of the game," he said. "We brought over some lighting and visual effects improvements from Mass Effect 2 and 3, and combined them with the original Mass Effect systems. In essence, we invited the Wu Tang Clan to a rap battle ... and it paid off.
"We got some huge gains in performance — especially with regard to texture popping, which has been dramatically improved — yet we were still able to maintain the classic look and feel of the introduction to the Mass Effect universe."
Warden says he is glad that PS3 owners will now be able to experience the full trilogy for the very first time and he is "really proud of the work that the team has done to bring Mass Effect Trilogy to PS3." To read Warden's complete blog post, visit the PlayStation Blog.
The Mass Effect Trilogy is available now on the PlayStation Network for $59.99.
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- Your first look at Agent Locke in Ridley Scott's Halo: Nightfall
- Dota 2 team Newbee just won The International 4 — along with the largest eSports prize pool in history
- Wii U owners can now transfer their data to another Wii U
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon YouTube Channel
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Standby Or Off On PS4