Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 will be available in a collector's edition, the Masters Historic Edition, with cover artwork featuring golf legend Bobby Jones and 2012 Masters champion Bubba Watson, publisher Electronic Arts announced today.
The Masters Historic Edition will include 26 courses, six more than the standard edition: five extra championship courses, and the smaller Par 3 course at Augusta National. One of the five is the standard Augusta National course but in its 1934 incarnation, the first year in which the Masters tournament was played.
Jones is the most successful amateur golfer of all time, dominating the amateur circuit and winning nine professional championships over the course of his career. He retired in 1930 after completing the Grand Slam of his era — winning the open and amateur championships in the U.S. and U.K. — at the age of 28. Jones went on to co-found and help design the famed Augusta National Golf Club, which opened in 1933. He also co-created the Masters Tournament, which has called Augusta home since 1934, when it began as the Augusta National Invitation Tournament.
Watson turned pro in 2003 and had never won a major championship before surviving a sudden-death playoff to win the Masters this past April.
Jones co-founded and helped design the famed Augusta National Golf Club
Like the Masters Collector's Edition for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13, the Masters Historic Edition does not feature an image of Tiger Woods on the front of the box; only his name appears near the bottom of the cover, in the title of the game. Woods shares the cover of the standard edition of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 with another golf legend, Arnold Palmer. Jones will be playable in the Masters Historic Edition; Palmer will be playable in both editions.
When asked for comment about Woods' absence from the cover of the Masters Historic Edition, an EA Sports representative told Polygon, "We are not distancing [ourselves from] or minimizing Tiger Woods. Both Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14: The Masters Historic Edition carry his name and the franchise is the cornerstone of our golf portfolio." The spokesperson also pointed out the particular idea behind the Masters Historic Edition, explaining the presence of Augusta National co-founder Jones and current champion Watson by calling it a "celebration of Augusta National Golf Club's past and present."
Check out the full box art for the Masters Historic Edition below. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 is set for release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in 2013.
- Watch what Grand Theft Auto 4's killer PC mod does for its original trailer
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- GOG.com accidentally gives away thousands of games
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Wii version of Skylanders Trap Team bundled with Wii U download code
- Watch the entire Halo: Nightfall panel from Comic-Con
- Battlefield Hardline's singleplayer tells the story of a good cop framed
- Sony Gamescom site outs Journey, The Unfinished Swan and Until Dawn for PS4
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Freedom Planet - Overview video