NBCUniversal has reportedly struck a deal with Hearst Corporation, Esquire's parent company. The rebranding comes as an attempt to reach male audiences in a different demographic than those watching networks like Spike. New programming will include shows on cooking, travel and fashion, although gaming will still exist in some form.
Reports of G4's transformation from "geek to chic" surfaced in October during the initial cancellation shock. At the time, Variety reported that the channel would target the modern male in a style reminiscent of GQ.
The rebrand is expected in early 2013.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today