Cyberpunk 2077's first official trailer introduces some of the themes players will encounter in CD Projekt Red's upcoming adaptation of the pen-and-paper franchise: Physical augmentation, a bleak cityscape and a good deal of violence.
The trailer mainly focuses on still models, depicting a gruesome scene in the streets of Night City, Cyberpunk 2077's setting. A woman has massacred 14 people with blades protruding from her arms after going "psycho," a thoroughly unscientific term for when a human's surgical and substance-based augmentations overcome them, turning them into killing machines. When this happens, a special branch of the police are called in to deal with the situation: the Psycho Squad.
"These guys are exceptional, these guys are crack troops," said CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski said in a press release accompanying the video. "The fact that they're proud of that name tells you a bit about their mindset. They wear a badge with their official emblem on their right sleeve, but their left is reserved for their unofficial Psycho Squad emblem. It's primitively made and the image itself is on the crude side of things. It's not unlike a badge special force operators might make and wear to distinguish themselves from the ranks of grunts in any theatre of war."
Check back in tomorrow for our interview with one of Cyberpunk 2077's lead writers on the dark, futuristic world players will inhabit. Cyberpunk 2077 will be out — in the trailer's own words — "when it's ready." More info on the title will be revealed Feb. 5.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward