A survey commissioned by the Common Sense Media and the Center for American Progress has found that 89 percent of parents in the U.S. believe that violence in today's video games is a problem, while 75 percent believe that violence in video games contributes to violent behavior.
The survey, which was conducted across 50 states in the U.S. on Jan. 4 through 5, 2013 with 1,050 parents who have children under the age of 18 living at home, aimed to identify what parents believe contributes to violence.
The survey found:
- 93 percent of parents nationwide say lack of supervision for children contributes to violence.
- 92 percent of parents nationwide say bullying contributes to violence.
- 86 percent of parents nationwide say crime in day-to-day life contributes.
- 77 percent of parents nationwide say violence in TV and movies contributes.
- 75 percent of parents nationwide say easy access to guns contributes.
- 75 percent of parents nationwide say violence in video games contributes.
- 64 percent say violent toys contribute.
Those surveyed were also shown a video advertisement for Hitman: Absolution, to which 84 percent said the advertisement was inappropriate to show on TV at a time when children are watching.
When asked whether violence in video games contributed to violent behavior, 75 percent of those surveyed said yes, 17 percent said no and 8 percent were unsure. In comparison, when asked whether easy access to guns contributes to violence, 75 percent said yes, 18 percent said no and 7 percent were unsure.
The survey results can be viewed here.
In This StoryStream
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- What Game Currently Keeps You Coming Back For More?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Getting a PS4
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- The Last of US DLC