The publisher behind The Secret World, Age of Conan and Anarchy Online is undergoing a company restructure that will result in cost reductions and studio closures, Funcom announced in a press release to investors today.
As part of its plans to restructure, the company's Montreal studio will be affected, with Funcom telling Games Industry International that "our goal is for the studio to continue to exist although in a different form than today. As we're currently in the middle of this process we can't go into further details right now, but we will update the market once the process has been completed."
In the notice to its investors, Funcom said that it will continue to focus strongly on its existing MMOs Age of Conan, Anarchy Online and The Secret World. The company also said it is "especially pleased" with the re-launch of The Secret World, saying that since the switch to a buy-to-play business model in December of 2012, in-game activity has increased by more than 400 percent with thousands of new players joining the game.
This is not the first time Funcom has undergone a company restructure. In August last year the company was hit with staff layoffs at its studios in Montreal, Durham, Oslo and Beijing. It is not yet known the extent of this current company restructure.
- State of Decay's Lifeline DLC is just the start of Undead Labs' 'long-term ambitions'
- See Star Citizen's dogfighting, and more, in action
- AbleGamers Foundation raised more than $33K at PAX East 2014
- Hearthstone Fireside Gatherings will help players meet in the real world April 26
- Political-based strategy game ReignMaker now available for PC via Steam