Video game sequels kill creativity in the industry, Quantic Dream head David Cage told Official PlayStation Magazine; However, it's the gamers who are encouraging publishers to continue exploring the same universes.
Cage, who is currently working on the upcoming PlayStation 3 exclusive Beyond: Two Souls, states "Many people want the same and if that's what you offer them, they will gladly buy it."
The trend of developing sequels and new installments in old franchises is encouraged by the players who do not demand innovation, he says.
"The result is very simple," explains Cage. "Gamers invest money in publishers having no interest in innovation.[Gamers] encourage [publishers] to keep making the same game every Christmas, and everybody's happy."
According to Cage, Beyond: Two Souls attempts to combat this industry-wide mentality by offering something unexpected to the player. "We don't give people what they expect," he says. "We want to give them something they want without knowing they want it."
Beyond: Two Souls explores the life of a young woman with special abilities running from a government organization. The game's lead will be voiced by Oscar-nominated actress Ellen Page, perhaps best known for her role in Juno.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Optimus Prime is no longer just a truck, he's a PlayStation
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- PS4 Beta Codes