To pass the slow weeks of January, the Cooperatives are playing through their 2012 backlog. This week, we bashed the brains out of Hotline Miami.
The indie game pummels together bits of various genres — strategy, roleplaying, adventure, dual-stick shooters — into one of the most disorienting experiences of last year. It simply doesn't play like anything else.
The brain-singeing acid blip soundtrack and the eye-tearing 2D glitch graphics channel bad drug trips and snuff films. The story, which is both humane and meta, reveals itself like a rotten onion, with smelly, awful truth waiting in its core.
Which is to say, we like it. In my case, a lot.
Where did Hotline Miami rank on your personal end-of-year list? And where would you set the sequel? Let's discuss!
For more episodes, visit our Cooperatives page.
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Kingdom of Amalur - 10$ was the best deal ever
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!