In Dust 514, players assume the role of mercenaries on planets from CCP's long-running space sim. The games will interact with universal currency and global events, among other features in real time.
Dust 514's closed beta began last August when server movement brought cross-game messaging and chat. Last week, CCP began the process of merging the Dust 514 and Eve Online servers to create the cross-platform universe.
Those who don't want to wait for the open beta can purchase access for the current closed beta with the $19.99 Mercenary Pack. CCP will give anyone who plays a match before the Jan. 22 open beta a bonus of 100,000 skill points, which you can use to buy better gear or upgrade character perks.
To get a feel for Dust 514, you can check out a developer diary focused on the first-person shooter's weapons here.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?