A Dublin man walked out of entertainment media retailer HMV with a handful of video games after the store refused to accept the €40 gift voucher he had purchased his grandson for Christmas, reports The Irish Independent.
Yesterday Nolan and his grandson Cian visited the HMV store on shopping venue Henry Street. Cian picked out three titles — Euro Truck Simulator 2, The Sims 3: Town Life and Rail Simulator — totaling €62.39, which was reduced to €46.80 after a 25 percent discount was applied. Nolan made several attempts to convince the staff to accept the voucher, then simply left the store carrying the games.
Security personnel followed Nolan part way down the street and ultimately failed to convince him his actions were wrong.
Nolan told the Independent he would mail the voucher and the remaining difference of €6.80 to the HMV store hoping to force them to take it.
"Somebody has made a conscious decision not to pay out on vouchers and it's despicable," Nolan said.
"We are a nation of sheep — but I was determined to win this," he added. "HMV have taken hundreds of thousands of euro from the Irish people this Christmas and we shouldn't put up with it."
On Monday, HMV announced that it was going into administration, stating the company had been unable to "reach a position where it feels able to continue to trade outside of insolvency protection." Yesterday the company announced that it would no longer be accepting or issuing gift vouchers, though it intended to follow through on pre-orders.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Street Fighter: World Warrior live action series in development
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today