A Dublin man walked out of entertainment media retailer HMV with a handful of video games after the store refused to accept the €40 gift voucher he had purchased his grandson for Christmas, reports The Irish Independent.
Yesterday Nolan and his grandson Cian visited the HMV store on shopping venue Henry Street. Cian picked out three titles — Euro Truck Simulator 2, The Sims 3: Town Life and Rail Simulator — totaling €62.39, which was reduced to €46.80 after a 25 percent discount was applied. Nolan made several attempts to convince the staff to accept the voucher, then simply left the store carrying the games.
Security personnel followed Nolan part way down the street and ultimately failed to convince him his actions were wrong.
Nolan told the Independent he would mail the voucher and the remaining difference of €6.80 to the HMV store hoping to force them to take it.
"Somebody has made a conscious decision not to pay out on vouchers and it's despicable," Nolan said.
"We are a nation of sheep — but I was determined to win this," he added. "HMV have taken hundreds of thousands of euro from the Irish people this Christmas and we shouldn't put up with it."
On Monday, HMV announced that it was going into administration, stating the company had been unable to "reach a position where it feels able to continue to trade outside of insolvency protection." Yesterday the company announced that it would no longer be accepting or issuing gift vouchers, though it intended to follow through on pre-orders.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders