A Dublin man walked out of entertainment media retailer HMV with a handful of video games after the store refused to accept the €40 gift voucher he had purchased his grandson for Christmas, reports The Irish Independent.
Yesterday Nolan and his grandson Cian visited the HMV store on shopping venue Henry Street. Cian picked out three titles — Euro Truck Simulator 2, The Sims 3: Town Life and Rail Simulator — totaling €62.39, which was reduced to €46.80 after a 25 percent discount was applied. Nolan made several attempts to convince the staff to accept the voucher, then simply left the store carrying the games.
Security personnel followed Nolan part way down the street and ultimately failed to convince him his actions were wrong.
Nolan told the Independent he would mail the voucher and the remaining difference of €6.80 to the HMV store hoping to force them to take it.
"Somebody has made a conscious decision not to pay out on vouchers and it's despicable," Nolan said.
"We are a nation of sheep — but I was determined to win this," he added. "HMV have taken hundreds of thousands of euro from the Irish people this Christmas and we shouldn't put up with it."
On Monday, HMV announced that it was going into administration, stating the company had been unable to "reach a position where it feels able to continue to trade outside of insolvency protection." Yesterday the company announced that it would no longer be accepting or issuing gift vouchers, though it intended to follow through on pre-orders.
- Dark Souls 2 - Overview video
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- WildStar launches June 3 in two editions, pre-orders begin March 19
- Why you don't want an online mode in TowerFall
- Game of Thrones: Ascent coming to mobile this spring
- Back to work: The story of the Hello Games flood
- Dark Souls 2 trailer promises certain death, plays Jethro Tull
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- DragonVale dev Backflip enters the publishing business with Backflip Publishing
- Zombot: former Bungie, Rockstar, Ubi devs bringing AAA to mobile
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Robot Mode (Wed 12 Mar)
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Video frame issues - It can't just be me
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Why no wireless chat with Xbox One Headsets?