A Dublin man walked out of entertainment media retailer HMV with a handful of video games after the store refused to accept the €40 gift voucher he had purchased his grandson for Christmas, reports The Irish Independent.
Yesterday Nolan and his grandson Cian visited the HMV store on shopping venue Henry Street. Cian picked out three titles — Euro Truck Simulator 2, The Sims 3: Town Life and Rail Simulator — totaling €62.39, which was reduced to €46.80 after a 25 percent discount was applied. Nolan made several attempts to convince the staff to accept the voucher, then simply left the store carrying the games.
Security personnel followed Nolan part way down the street and ultimately failed to convince him his actions were wrong.
Nolan told the Independent he would mail the voucher and the remaining difference of €6.80 to the HMV store hoping to force them to take it.
"Somebody has made a conscious decision not to pay out on vouchers and it's despicable," Nolan said.
"We are a nation of sheep — but I was determined to win this," he added. "HMV have taken hundreds of thousands of euro from the Irish people this Christmas and we shouldn't put up with it."
On Monday, HMV announced that it was going into administration, stating the company had been unable to "reach a position where it feels able to continue to trade outside of insolvency protection." Yesterday the company announced that it would no longer be accepting or issuing gift vouchers, though it intended to follow through on pre-orders.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dungeons & Dragons castle defense game coming to mobile next year
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- People watched Twitch Plays Pokémon for a billion minutes
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Help Nipah build a PC
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments