Assassin's Creed 3 and 007 Legends are among the candidates for the 2013 Videogame Writing Award from the Writers Guild of America, the nominees for which were announced today.
Both Assassin's Creed 3 and its PlayStation Vita spin-off, Liberation, were honored with nods from the WGA. Liberation wasn't the only Vita game nominated for the award — Uncharted: Golden Abyss was also selected. Rounding out the list of six are Halo 4 and Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two. Here's the full list of games, along with their publishers and credited writers:
- 007 Legends, Written By Bruce Feirstein; Activision
- Assassin's Creed 3, Story By Alex Hutchinson, Corey May, Matt Turner; Multiplayer Story By Richard Farrese, Jeffrey Yohalem; Lead Scriptwriter Corey May; Scriptwriter Nicholas Grimwood, Russell Lees, Matt Turner, Danny Wallace, Ceri Young; Ubisoft
- Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation, Scriptwriting by Richard Farrese, Jill Murray; Ubisoft
- Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, Writing Consultant Marv Wolfman; Disney Interactive Studios
- Halo 4, Narrative Design Christopher Schlerf; Microsoft Studios
- Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Written By John Garvin; Sony Computer Entertainment America
If you're wondering why your favorite 2012 game is missing, note that the WGA has some very particular requirements for scripts that narrow its field of potential nominees for the Videogame Writing Award. The games in question must have been released between Dec. 1, 2011, and Nov. 30, 2012. And at the time of submission, credited writers must either have been members of the WGA Videogame Writers Caucus or have applied to become members of the group.
According to the WGA, preliminary and final judging of nominees is handled by members of the caucus and WGA members who are active in the field of writing video games. All 2013 WGA Awards will be presented Feb. 17 during simultaneous ceremonies in Los Angeles and New York for the Writers Guild of America, West, and the Writers Guild of America, East, respectively.
- OlliOlli developer Roll7's next trick, the kill combo-based shoot 'em up Not A Hero
- MLB The Show's neatest trick was not as easy as it looks
- Art exhibit blends video games with religious iconography
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4 - Overview video
- Conception 2 review: bad romance
- Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam and Humongous Entertainment return to PC on Steam
- Tales of Hearts R to launch in North America late this year
- My mother made me a gamer, and gave me the skills to deal with her death
- See The Fifth Element imagined as a 16-bit video game
- Nintendo co-sponsors annual White House Easter Egg Roll