Ubisoft's ZombiU servers contain more than 300,000 zombified ex-players that the developer could use for future content, according to an interview with producer Guillaume Brunier published in Nintendo World Report.
Character death is permanent in ZombiU. When players meet their end, they continue the campaign as a new character who inevitably runs into the zombie version of the recently departed. Encounters can also include characters from other players' games, which are stored on Ubisoft's servers.
Those undead assets could serve as a beacon for additions to the game, according to Brunier.
"We're having a lot of fun doing this," he said. "And we have many ideas to get this ball rolling. One in particular is about our 300,000-plus zombified friends stored on our servers. Who knows what we could do with them?"
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Unreal Engine 4 updated with PS4, Xbox One, Linux and SteamOS support