Calling the development of Diablo 3 "one of the most challenging and rewarding periods of my life," Wilson said that after seven years on the game, he has "reached a point creatively where [he's] looking forward to working on something new." To that end, Wilson will be leaving Diablo 3 and "transitioning elsewhere within Blizzard" over the next several weeks. "This decision was not an easy one for me, and not one I made quickly, but ultimately it's what I feel is right," he said.
Wilson added that his departure from Diablo 3 "will not negatively impact [the studio's] ongoing support" of the game, and that he "won't be abandoning the team" during the transition period while Blizzard figures out who will replace him. According to Wilson, the company won't only be looking internally for a new game director; a job posting may go up in the near future.
Musing on his time as game director and the public face of Diablo 3, Wilson said he would miss the game's community even though the developers have disagreed at times with their fans. "My intent was always to provide a great gaming experience, and be as open and receptive as possible, while still sticking true to the vision the Diablo team has for the game."
"ultimately it's what I feel is right"
Although Wilson is leaving Diablo 3, he promised the community that its input will always be welcome at Blizzard. "With your help, we'll continue to play, debate, and improve Diablo 3, as we've done with every Blizzard game," said Wilson. "I'm leaving Diablo 3 in good hands, and my departure will not jeopardize the progress of the game as we continue to do what we do: listen, play, and improve."
Prior to joining Blizzard in January 2006, Wilson worked at Relic Entertainment. He served as the lead designer of the 2004 real-time strategy game Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War and the design director of the 2006 title Company of Heroes.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Telltale describes the difficulty of starting over in The Walking Dead Season Two
- Goat Simulator's Steam support is the 'most defining and important part'
- Report: Xbox Live could feature targeted political ads
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance adding Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy content
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- Thief: Sneak sneak, steal steal, curse curse
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- XBOne Classifieds
- Prepare for Titanfall (Xbox One)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- What Game Currently Keeps You Coming Back For More?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Getting a PS4
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!