The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is getting an HD remake for the Wii U, and will be released by this fall, Nintendo announced today during a Nintendo Direct presentation.
The title, which will feature remastered visuals and GamePad functionality, came as a result of the Zelda development team experimenting with environmental art from past Zelda games in the Wii U's new hardware. The team liked its take on Wind Waker's Windfall Island, seen above, so much, that it decided to move ahead with the remake.
Information on the title is still relatively slim, but Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that the game would be released "by fall."
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Tell Us Your Story
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming