The next Legend of Zelda title, slated for release on the Wii U, will implement a new design philosophy that will be a departure from previous series installments, series producer Eiji Aonuma announced in today's Nintendo Direct.
According to Aonuma, the team has set aside the familiar conventions of the series to "get back to basics." Things like completing dungeons in a certain order and only being able to play by yourself will be changed "to create a newborn Zelda so players today can enjoy the real essence of the franchise."
Aonuma said the original plans for fall 2011's Skyward Sword included making these changes, but the developer was unable to change the game's linear structure.
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Coolest Zombie Shooter for Android
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Spare PS4 Beta Codes
- Standby Or Off On PS4