The next Legend of Zelda title, slated for release on the Wii U, will implement a new design philosophy that will be a departure from previous series installments, series producer Eiji Aonuma announced in today's Nintendo Direct.
According to Aonuma, the team has set aside the familiar conventions of the series to "get back to basics." Things like completing dungeons in a certain order and only being able to play by yourself will be changed "to create a newborn Zelda so players today can enjoy the real essence of the franchise."
Aonuma said the original plans for fall 2011's Skyward Sword included making these changes, but the developer was unable to change the game's linear structure.
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27