A follow-up to Xenoblade Chronicles is in development on Wii U at Monolith Soft, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced today during a Nintendo Direct presentation.
The development team is led by studio head Tetsuya Takahashi, who also served as game director on Xenoblade Chronicles. Character design is being done by Kunihiko Tanaka, who performed the same duties for Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode 1. Hiroyuki Sawano, a composer for Japanese film, TV and anime, is writing the score.
Check out the debut teaser trailer, which includes gameplay footage, above. Nintendo is referring to the title simply as "a new game from Monolith Soft," but it bears a strong resemblance to Xenoblade Chronicles.
Xenoblade Chronicles launched on Wii in 2010 in Japan, and last year in North America.
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta