Valve landmark first-person shooter Half-Life has been ported and quietly released for Mac OS X and Linux.
While Valve hasn't made any official announcements about the availability of Half-Life for other platforms and currently lists Windows as the only supported OS, the Mac version appears in our Steam library, installs and runs well. The original Half-Life, first released in 1998, has been one of a handful Valve games that hasn't received a non-Windows port since the developer began pursuing Mac and Linux development.
The release of the original Half-Life could pave the way for older Valve-published titles like the original Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic and expansions Opposing Force and Blue Shift to come to Mac and Linux.
Half-Life is currently priced at $9.99 on Steam.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Really Horrible
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders