SuperBot Entertainment, developer of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, has been hit with layoffs, according to a statement provided to Polygon by Sony Computer Entertainment America.
"SCEA can confirm that SuperBot Entertainment did make a reduction in their workforce today," the statement reads. "The studio and SCEA remain committed to supporting PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale post launch, including developing the title's forthcoming DLC releases in the coming months. The first character pack (including Kat from Gravity Rush and Emmett Graves from Starhawk) will be available for download on Feb. 12 and will be free for the first two weeks. We'll be sharing news of additional upcoming content soon."
Word of the layoffs began to spread earlier today, when Mike Birkhead, a developer at Insomniac Games, tweeted, "Layoffs at SuperBot. When it rains, it pours." In a later tweet, he pegged the number of layoffs at "around 20." We've reached out to SCEA for clarification on that number, and will update this article as more information becomes available.
Founded in 2009, SuperBot Entertainment is an independent studio developing exclusively for Sony Computer Entertainment America. The studio released its first game, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, in Nov. 2012. Earlier last year, former Capcom employee and fighting game aficionado Seth Killian joined SCEA. In an interview last year, Killian said he helped SuperBot bring "polish and some presentation," as well as "character details and balance" to the fighter.
SuperBot's community manager Daniel Maniago announced the DLC referenced above last week. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is available for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Square Goods @PS4 INVITE live 9pm pst
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- Upgrade ps4 to 7200rpm?