Demon's Souls and Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki will not be involved in the development of Dark Souls 2, instead stepping back into a less-involved supervising role and assisting with production scheduling, according to an interview with Miyazaki at Edge Online.
Miyazaki told Edge he is looking into server-based networking for Dark Souls 2's online multiplayer, a move away from Dark Souls peer-to-peer system. He has also assisted in nailing down a development schedule, citing player criticism over the numerous polishing patches released post-launch for Dark Souls as a reason for tightening production.
"I'm aware that many fans were a little bit frustrated about Dark Souls in terms of the scheduling — more specifically speaking, about the patches that we've released," he said. "I really regretted that, so I reviewed all those kinds of things that I worked on in Dark Souls to make sure that Dark Souls 2 is ready on time."
Miyazaki also noted that the decision to assign two new directors for Dark Souls 2, FromSoftware veterans Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, was made by FromSoftware and publisher Namco Bandai. While Miyazaki expressed that he is sad about not being involved in development, he is looking forward to playing Dark Souls 2 without the attachment of a developer.
"Miyazaki worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but for the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with [a] brand new Dark Souls experience," said Namco Bandai producer Takeshi Miyazoe. "In order to maintain the expectations and satisfaction and the rewards that players experience, this was the right time to bring in the new characteristics and taste[s of the directors] for this series to continue on evolving."
Miyazaki shared that he is working as a director on a new IP, but refused to give additional details.
- We play Titanfall, TowerFall and Dark Souls 2 in this week's Polygon Live
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 wants to be the simple, fast-paced game you remember
- Dark Souls 2: tips for beginners and returning masochists
- South Park: The Stick of Truth let me do everything but be myself, and that's a bummer
- Ubisoft 'forced' Watch Dogs dev into E3 2012 reveal
- Disney Infinity's Phineas and Agent P arrive first at GameStop March 15
- Street Fighter: The Movie — What went wrong
- Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes EU PS3 pre-orders to include Peace Walker HD
- Nvidia debuts Battery Boost in new GTX 800M GPUs to improve laptop battery life
- Mercenary Kings hits PS4 April 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Robot Mode (Wed 12 Mar)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Video frame issues - It can't just be me
- Just about ready to cash in my pre-order......
- Towerfall Diamond League
- Need your help fellow Polynauts regarding my thesis study!!!
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Prepare to Die (Tues 11 Mar)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- The Last of US DLC