Servers for Hammerpoint Interactive's The War Z are back online after suffering numerous shutdown attempts over the past few days, according to a post on the game's forums from a community manager under the username Kewk.
"Over the last few days we have been under attack by various forms of malicious attempts to shut down our servers," wrote Kewk earlier today.
Kewk wrote that several days ago The War Z servers were hit with an attack that attempted to reset the domain name system (DNS) IP address and would prevent players from being able to connect. The issue was resolved and a fix for the attack was pushed worldwide.
According to Kewk, Hammerpoint suffered a DDOS attack on the game's login server. Hammerpoint has implemented additional DDOS protection and the studio's IT team was able to fix the issue and restore the servers as of 1:30 p.m. PT today.
Polygon has reached out to Hammerpoint for more details on the attacks, and will update this story with more information as we have it.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Do Polynauts dream of analog sheep? (Fri 7 Mar)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)