"Thank you everyone for your support. This has been an amazing and humbling couple of weeks," the developers said on Twitter upon the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign.
More than 8,300 backers pledged their support to the project, which Subterranean describes as a god game with strategy elements that's inspired by classic franchises like Dungeon Keeper and StarCraft. While the Kickstarter drive did not reach the next "flex goal" of adding the voice talents of Richard Ridings, the actor who voiced the Mentor in the first two Dungeon Keeper titles, interested parties can continue to donate through PayPal on the game's website.
War for the Overworld is set for release by Aug. 30, 2013, on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- First Tekken 7 details revealed at Comic-Con