"Thank you everyone for your support. This has been an amazing and humbling couple of weeks," the developers said on Twitter upon the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign.
More than 8,300 backers pledged their support to the project, which Subterranean describes as a god game with strategy elements that's inspired by classic franchises like Dungeon Keeper and StarCraft. While the Kickstarter drive did not reach the next "flex goal" of adding the voice talents of Richard Ridings, the actor who voiced the Mentor in the first two Dungeon Keeper titles, interested parties can continue to donate through PayPal on the game's website.
War for the Overworld is set for release by Aug. 30, 2013, on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?
- The Dreamcast was the beginning, and the end, of the golden age of peripherals
- Project Cars trailer touts photorealism and reveals a November release