"Thank you everyone for your support. This has been an amazing and humbling couple of weeks," the developers said on Twitter upon the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign.
More than 8,300 backers pledged their support to the project, which Subterranean describes as a god game with strategy elements that's inspired by classic franchises like Dungeon Keeper and StarCraft. While the Kickstarter drive did not reach the next "flex goal" of adding the voice talents of Richard Ridings, the actor who voiced the Mentor in the first two Dungeon Keeper titles, interested parties can continue to donate through PayPal on the game's website.
War for the Overworld is set for release by Aug. 30, 2013, on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas Plague Quarter - Overview Video
- What it's like to attend Girls Make Games, the all-girls game dev summer camp