Poor sales of Nintendo's Wii U console have had "a negative impact" on the company's profits and have led to the company revising its earnings forecast, according to Nintendo's consolidated financial highlights for the nine months ending December 2012.
Nintendo cited the Wii U's sales as a contributing factor to the company's 5.8 billion yen operating loss. In the period from the console's release to the end of December 2012, the Wii U sold 830,000 units in Japan, 1.32 million in The Americas and 900,000 units "elsewhere". A total of 3.06 million units were sold globally. Software sales came to a total of 11.69 million. The console is forecast to sell a total of 4 million units by the end of the financial year ending March 2013, down from Nintendo's forecast in October 2012 of 5.5 million units. In comparison, the Nintendo Wii sold 3.19 million units globally in its first six weeks and had a forecast of selling 6 million units by the fiscal year that ended March 2007.
Due to the "negative impact" of Wii U sales, Nintendo revised its full-year financial forecast, lowering the annual net sales figure from 810 billion yen to 670 billion yen, a decrease of 17.3 percent. However it has more than doubled its net income from 6 billion yen to 14 billion yen and its net income per share forecast has jumped from 46.9 million yen per share to 109.5 million yen per share.
Sales for the 3DS remained strong in the nine month period ending December 2012, with Nintendo selling a total of 12.7 million units, up from the previous year's 11.4 million units. Sales for the DS and Wii fell, with the DS selling 2.1 million units compared to the previous year's 4.6 million, and the Wii selling 3.5 million units compared to the previous year's 8.6 million.
Earlier this month Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that sales for the Wii U were "not bad."
An infographic showing the lifetime sales of all Nintendo consoles can be viewed here.
- How video games can change the world, one child at a time
- The Elder Scrolls Online Review: other people
- Tabletop Simulator - Overview video
- MLB Perfect Inning: Can a baseball sim work on a mobile device?
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- Ryse: Son of Rome Duel of Fates DLC adds three new maps
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is now free on Android and iOS
- Why a deal between Netflix and Comcast matters to gamers
- Experience the terror of drowning in this interactive video
- Moebius: Empire Rising review: remedial history
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)