Sony has uploaded a video inviting viewers to "see the future," possibly teasing a next-gen PlayStation reveal, as seen in the clip above.
The video slowly pans over the iconic four shapes that appear on the DualShock controller — circle, square, triangle and X — before dropping a date which, presumably, will reveal the cause for the teaser: Feb. 20, 2013. A website uploaded alongside the video also lists a specific time for said date: At 6 p.m. ET, whatever Sony has to reveal, it's going to reveal. That same website allows visitors to sign up for a mailing list, offering them a chance to "Be the first to know."
We've received an invite to an event called "Playstation Meeting 2013" at that date and time, and will bring you any announcements from the event as they come. It's also worth noting that the date falls a little bit before Sony's Destination PlayStation event, which runs Feb. 25-28.
Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida tweeted a two-character exclamation following the video's publication.
!?— Shuhei Yoshida (@yosp) January 31, 2013
Industry analyst Michael Pachter also weighed in on Twitter, saying he thinks a new console announcement is inevitable, given the folks who've been invited to the PlayStation Meeting event.
Sony is inviting investors and media to the Feb 20 event; that means console announcement.I'm genuinely excited, although I will be in LA— Michael Pachter (@michaelpachter) January 31, 2013
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- The best song in a video game?
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?