Director Guillermo del Toro cast Ellen McLain, the voice of Portal's robotic villain, as Pacific Rim's AI in homage to GlaDOS, but the film will feature a slightly less distinctive filter, the Toronto Sun reports.
McLain's voice has been filtered to sound similar to both Portal games. Although del Toro wanted her voice in the trailer to be "full-on GlaDOS," the filter used in-film doesn't produce nearly as strong of a resemblance.
Del Toro approached Valve for permission to use the voice of GlaDOS, telling them "there's no AI I'd rather have than GlaDOS."
"I wanted very much to have her, because I'm a big Portal fan," del Toro said. "But just as a wink. She's not cake obsessed. She's not out to destroy humanity."
GlaDOS made her debut as the AI in Pacific Rim's first trailer, which released in early December of 2012. Pacific Rim is slated for theatrical release on July 11, 2013.
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- The controller: will it get fixed?
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- Upgrade ps4 to 7200rpm?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- What Game Currently Keeps You Coming Back For More?
- Getting a PS4