Director Guillermo del Toro cast Ellen McLain, the voice of Portal's robotic villain, as Pacific Rim's AI in homage to GlaDOS, but the film will feature a slightly less distinctive filter, the Toronto Sun reports.
McLain's voice has been filtered to sound similar to both Portal games. Although del Toro wanted her voice in the trailer to be "full-on GlaDOS," the filter used in-film doesn't produce nearly as strong of a resemblance.
Del Toro approached Valve for permission to use the voice of GlaDOS, telling them "there's no AI I'd rather have than GlaDOS."
"I wanted very much to have her, because I'm a big Portal fan," del Toro said. "But just as a wink. She's not cake obsessed. She's not out to destroy humanity."
GlaDOS made her debut as the AI in Pacific Rim's first trailer, which released in early December of 2012. Pacific Rim is slated for theatrical release on July 11, 2013.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Ultima Forever comes to an end months after closure of EA Mythic
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?