Director Guillermo del Toro cast Ellen McLain, the voice of Portal's robotic villain, as Pacific Rim's AI in homage to GlaDOS, but the film will feature a slightly less distinctive filter, the Toronto Sun reports.
McLain's voice has been filtered to sound similar to both Portal games. Although del Toro wanted her voice in the trailer to be "full-on GlaDOS," the filter used in-film doesn't produce nearly as strong of a resemblance.
Del Toro approached Valve for permission to use the voice of GlaDOS, telling them "there's no AI I'd rather have than GlaDOS."
"I wanted very much to have her, because I'm a big Portal fan," del Toro said. "But just as a wink. She's not cake obsessed. She's not out to destroy humanity."
GlaDOS made her debut as the AI in Pacific Rim's first trailer, which released in early December of 2012. Pacific Rim is slated for theatrical release on July 11, 2013.
- Welcome to the Polygon Community!
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 100% Complete (Thu 6 Mar)
- How to make "South Park:Stick of Truth" more like Final Fantasy
- When Gameplay coincides with the story
- Dracul: Now not a Dick
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (March 2014)