Director Guillermo del Toro cast Ellen McLain, the voice of Portal's robotic villain, as Pacific Rim's AI in homage to GlaDOS, but the film will feature a slightly less distinctive filter, the Toronto Sun reports.
McLain's voice has been filtered to sound similar to both Portal games. Although del Toro wanted her voice in the trailer to be "full-on GlaDOS," the filter used in-film doesn't produce nearly as strong of a resemblance.
Del Toro approached Valve for permission to use the voice of GlaDOS, telling them "there's no AI I'd rather have than GlaDOS."
"I wanted very much to have her, because I'm a big Portal fan," del Toro said. "But just as a wink. She's not cake obsessed. She's not out to destroy humanity."
GlaDOS made her debut as the AI in Pacific Rim's first trailer, which released in early December of 2012. Pacific Rim is slated for theatrical release on July 11, 2013.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2sday (Tue 22 April)
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Polygon Feast & Fitness Vol. 3
- Project Spark Love
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- After this, GTA V for PC is pretty much confirmed
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Easter Monday MMXIV (Mon 21 April)