Nintendo will release a brand new Pokémon game series for the 3DS called Pokémon X and Pokémon Y in October 2013, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced in a Nintendo Direct presentation today.
The game will make use of the Nintendo's 3DS's features and will release in North America, Europe, Australia and Japan "around the same time," Iwata said.
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will feature three starter Pokémon: Froakie, Fennekin and Chespin. Pikachu appeared briefly in the trailer for the games among the new Pokémon introduced.
The games will allow players to play with each other and connect globally. With previous Pokémon games releasing years apart in Japan and North America, Iwata emphasized that this will be the first Pokémon series that will receive a similar release period worldwide so that players can connect with each other.
The trailer for Pokémon X and Pokémon Y can be viewed below.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The best new video game toys from Comic-Con
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming