Cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows PC games "makes a lot of sense" as part of a "connected ecosystem across all the different devices," said Microsoft's Phil Spencer in an interview with AusGamers.
Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Studios, stopped short of confirming that the feature is on its way, saying, "I'm not allowed to leak things.
"But I think what you're talking about makes a lot of sense," he continued. Spencer pointed out that both Xbox 360 and PC owners of the 2007 first-person shooter Shadowrun could play together, and said, "We didn't have tremendous success with that, but we learnt a lot from it."
He then gave more recent examples: 17-Bit's Skulls of the Shogun, which launched earlier this year on Xbox Live Arcade, PC, Windows Phone and Windows 8, and Halo: Spartan Assault, the Windows 8 and Windows Phone game that hooks into Halo 4.
"This connected ecosystem across all the different devices is definitely where I think the future of gaming is going; you don't have to do it as a developer, but you have the capability and I think a system like Xbox Live across all those screens where you know who someone is and who their friends are, what their Achievements are and their progression is really critical to that," said Spencer.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Highergrounds Game
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?