The third entry in Stardock's Galactic Civilizations series of 4X space strategy games is coming exclusively to 64-bit PCs, the company announced today, heralding "a new era of game development at Stardock," according to a release.
Galactic Civilizations 3 promises a host of new features, including online multiplayer, a new diplomacy system that opens non-military paths to victory and "vastly improved" visuals.
"The technology allows players to experience a level of graphical detail and on-screen activity unprecedented in large-scale strategy PC games," said Stardock Entertainment vice president Derek Paxton. "It dramatically increases the size and scope of the maps, and opens the door for modders to add a virtually unlimited amount of new content to the game."
Additional gameplay changes coming to Galactic Civilizations 3 include new interstellar terrain elements like black holes and an overhauled ship builder that lets players control "nearly every element of starship design."
While Stardock did not reveal a release timeframe, the developer is opening up a pre-order program through its website. Players who purchase the $39.99 "Founder's Edition" will get early beta access to the game and $10 off the normal price. A $99.99 "Founder's Elite Edition" includes all future expansions and downloadable content, access to the Gal Civ 3 alpha and the right to name an in-game star.
More details are available at the Galactic Civilizations 3 website.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol.2, No.7: Warai, Warai!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Contest Resumes: Infamous: Second Son - Win a statue of Delsin Rowe
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Where's Polygon? (Tue 15 Apr)
- The Secret Ending (spoilers)
- The best song in a video game?
- Gamertag Hook-Ups
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)