Project Spark will not require an Xbox Live Gold subscription, according to a post by the game's community manager Mike Lescault on the Xbox One Reddit forum.
"You do not need an Xbox Live Gold account to play Project Spark," Lescault wrote in response to a Redditors thought that an Xbox Live Gold subscription was required to play the game. "You will not need a Gold subscription to play Project Spark for free on any platform."
Announced for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Windows 8 during E3 2013, Project Spark players can use the Xbox One's Kinect voice capabilities and Microsoft's SmartGlass to issue commands and manipulate the world. Users can also program the behaviours of in-game objects and create different types terrain, be it rivers, grasslands, waterfalls and mountains.
Project Spark's closed beta was expected to begin in October, and registration is open on the game's website. For more about Project Spark, read our interview with Microsoft Studios manager Saxs Persson, where he discussed how playtesters broke any expectations the team had for how people would use it.
- Games for Change 2014: How gaming can change everything
- Skylanders Trap Team coming Oct. 5 with a new twist and a new portal
- Playing with privilege: the invisible benefits of gaming while male
- How Call of Duty: Ghosts' new Chaos Mode perks will level the playing field
- Is Watch Dogs doing anything original?