Ubisoft's delays of Watch Dogs and The Crew weren't the only factors that caused the company to reduce sales and income targets for its current fiscal year yesterday — a few of the publisher's 2013 titles have underperformed, too.
"Principally the profit warning is related to the postponement of The Crew and Watch Dogs," said Alain Martinez, Ubisoft's chief financial officer, during an investor call yesterday. But he added, "We saw some slowdown on the released games; we believe we were below what we were expecting in our initial target."
In response to an analyst asking Ubisoft officials to clarify that point, Martinez said that "already released games" including "Splinter Cell [Blacklist] and Rayman [Legends], and others" have missed the company's sales targets so far. Ubisoft released Splinter Cell: Blacklist in August, and Rayman Legends in September.
The company was originally expecting total sales for its 2013-14 fiscal year — which runs from April 1, 2013 through March 31, 2014 — to come in between €1.42 billion and €1.45 billion (between $1.92 billion and $1.96 billion). In addition to the aforementioned titles, the current fiscal year includes high-profile games such as Just Dance 2014 and Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. But without Watch Dogs and The Crew, Ubisoft now expects sales of between €995 million and €1.05 billion for the fiscal year.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Explore Unreal Tournament in these 5 gameplay videos
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- It takes 40 minutes to drive across country in The Crew, watch it happen right here
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today