While the world waits for the HD consumer version of Oculus Rift to arrive, its inventors are already looking ahead to higher resolution 4K displays.
Speaking at the Gaming Insiders Summit in San Francisco yesterday, CEO Brendan Iribe said that improved resolution is on the project's to-do list, adding that plans are afoot to launch a 4K version of the VR headset in the future. No further details were provided.
A solid launch date for the HD consumer version of Oculus Rift has still not been announced. Iribe said the machine, which is expected some time next year, will be available "soon." Standard definition developer kit versions have been sent out over the last few months to Kickstarter backers.
As reported yesterday by Polygon, Oculus is working on various ways to improve the Rift playing experience including the elimination of "simulation sickness" which Iribe claimed had been achieved in new prototypes currently being tested. He also said that the Rift could be used as an IMAX-like 2D display for next generation consoles.
Earlier this year the Rift's inventor Palmer Luckey indicated that 4K displays are just one of the improvements he is considering. "There's a lot of other things to work on besides resolution," he told PC Gamer. "We can't just sit around and wait for 4K displays to hop around."
- Toys for Bob and the story behind Skylanders
- Your first look at Prodigy's two new monstrous creatures
- Bungie fires Halo composer Martin O'Donnell (update)
- Wildstar PvP will throw you into a 40 vs. 40 battle royale
- Starbound studio is helping to bring metroidvania RPG Heart Forth, Alicia to new platforms
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: PLACE HAND HERE! (Thu 17 Apr)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Scrolling front page - can't access bottom banner
- The best song in a video game?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: M! (Wed 16 Apr)
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Post your Polygon Daily/Weekender headers here (April 2014)
- Controller Design Competition
- What characters would you guys like to see on the new Super Smash Bros?