Sonic the Hedgehog and his furry friends will return to television next fall with a CG-animated series with the working title of Sonic Boom, Sega announced today on its official blog.
A comedy series geared toward children ages 6-11, Sonic Boom stars Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose and Dr. Eggman, along with other enemies of Sonic. Sonic Boom will debut in the U.S. exclusively on Cartoon Network and will appear in France on Canal J and Gulli, and will later be expanded to other networks around the globe.
The show's initial run will consist of 52 11-minute episodes co-produced by Sega of America and the French animation studio Genao Productions. Takashi Iizuka, the head of Sonic Team, will oversee the production of Sonic Boom to ensure that it stays true to the Sonic universe.
"Sonic is the star of the Sega universe and the stage is now set for him to shine like never before. By teaming up with world-class partners in television animation like Cartoon Network, Genao Productions and Gulli, we're ensuring that the Sonic legacy will be introduced to a new generation of children across the globe," said Hiroyuki Miyazaki, Sega's chief content officer for Sonic.
Prior to Sonic Boom, Sonic's most recent television show was the anime series Sonic X, which originally ran in Japan from 2003-2004.
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- The controller: will it get fixed?
- Is there anyone who doesnt like Titanfall?
- Upgrade ps4 to 7200rpm?
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- What Game Currently Keeps You Coming Back For More?