Sonic the Hedgehog and his furry friends will return to television next fall with a CG-animated series with the working title of Sonic Boom, Sega announced today on its official blog.
A comedy series geared toward children ages 6-11, Sonic Boom stars Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose and Dr. Eggman, along with other enemies of Sonic. Sonic Boom will debut in the U.S. exclusively on Cartoon Network and will appear in France on Canal J and Gulli, and will later be expanded to other networks around the globe.
The show's initial run will consist of 52 11-minute episodes co-produced by Sega of America and the French animation studio Genao Productions. Takashi Iizuka, the head of Sonic Team, will oversee the production of Sonic Boom to ensure that it stays true to the Sonic universe.
"Sonic is the star of the Sega universe and the stage is now set for him to shine like never before. By teaming up with world-class partners in television animation like Cartoon Network, Genao Productions and Gulli, we're ensuring that the Sonic legacy will be introduced to a new generation of children across the globe," said Hiroyuki Miyazaki, Sega's chief content officer for Sonic.
Prior to Sonic Boom, Sonic's most recent television show was the anime series Sonic X, which originally ran in Japan from 2003-2004.
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Beast Mode (Thurs 24 April)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 8: GOLDEN CRISIS
- Titanfall less addictive than previous/similar games?
- NVIDIA GeForce Titan For Gaming?!
- Darkest Polygon: Lets start a Polygon Dark Souls 2 covenant
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: What? (Wed 23 April)
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Game freezes at the starting screen, launch error
- Changing Posting Name
- Weekend at Polygon's: Party Time (19-20 April)