A third installment in the Battlefield: Bad Company franchise will happen, creative director Lars Gustavsson told reporters at a Battlefield 4 event, clarifying that it won't happen immediately because of the recent spate of newly announced Electronic Arts DICE-developed titles.
"My feeling is that I would love to do it. For me, when we started the company with 1942, it was really a work of passion," Gustavsson said. "And then we worked our way through the era of different wars, and I loved them all, like my little babies. When it came to Bad Company, it was creative freedom; don't take yourself too seriously.
"So I love it. I want to see it again. Whether it can happen [right] now with the newly announced Mirrors Edge 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront... but we'll see," he said, referring to the new DICE-developed Mirror's Edge 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront titles that were announced for next-generation consoles during EA's E3 2013 press conference in June.
"But trust me, the Bad Company [team] isn't forgotten, they are just on a very long vacation," he continued. "So they are out there, they're coming back."
In August, Frank Gibeau, president of EA Labels said that EA will rotate between three main shooter franchises going forward: Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront. The publisher's former strategy of alternating between the Battlefield and Medal of Honor series included Bad Company titles.
Developed by EA DICE for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, the jocular Battlefield offshoot series was first published in 2008. Its sequel, Bad Company 2, saw a release in 2010 followed by the Bad Company 2: Vietnam expansion pack that same year.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Nintendo lost $97M last quarter even with the success of Mario Kart 8
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story