A sequel to Re-Logic's adventure sandbox game Terraria is currently in the works, creator Andrew "Redigit" Spinks told Rock Paper Shotgun.
Spinks said Terraria 2 will feature a wider range of possibilities for players to set themselves up with. While the game has been in the planning stages for a while, its creator said that he is still working to support the first Terraria; the sequel is farther off in the future.
"I'm super excited about starting Terraria 2," Spinks said. "It's a ways out, but it's gonna have a lot in common with the original. It's gonna be quite different as well. I really want to expand on the whole Terraria universe."
While it will have some similarities to its predecessor, players won't be limited in terms of exploration, as Spinks' game will feature "infinite worlds."
"There's a lot of stuff I'm locked into with Terraria," he explained. "The way loot works, the way character progression works. In Terraria 2, I really want to have infinite worlds so you're not just stuck to one world. You can travel anywhere. I want more biome diversity in that, too. There's a lot of stuff [I want to add and change]."
Spinks said he wants to finish Terraria's endgame content "within the next month or two." He also teased a possible Halloween-themed update and a handful of additional, smaller updates in the next three to four months.
"It's a tricky question, though. When do you stop working on one game and start working on something new?" he said. "I honestly have no idea. Right now, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Everyone on my team is really enjoying working on Terraria 1. But I have looked into maybe hiring another small team to continue updates while I move onto Terraria 2. So that's also an option."
Update: Spinks clarified with Joystiq that Terraria 2 is still in planning stages and has not yet entered the development phase.
"I have a list of features and mechanics I want the game to have but that is the extent of the development at this point," he said.
- TowerFall Ascension review: bowstring symphony
- The final years of Irrational Games, according to those who were there
- When a successful game is a failure
- Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
- Why Watch Dogs went into hiding
- Telltale describes the difficulty of starting over in The Walking Dead Season Two
- Goat Simulator's Steam support is the 'most defining and important part'
- Report: Xbox Live could feature targeted political ads
- Ouya may not be dead, but its long history of stumbles makes success unlikely
- Marvel: Avengers Alliance adding Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy content
- Polygon Off-Topic Weekender: We broke 1K! (8-9 March)
- More Pokémon Discussions: Redux
- PD Users: Defined at Last! (Humour)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 5: The where I yet again break the rules
- Owen Good, joining Polygon as senior reporter, weekends
- Getting a PS4
- Contest: Want to go to the Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls launch party on March 24?
- The Last of US DLC
- PS4 Now or Wait Till Price Drop & Gaikai?
- The controller: will it get fixed?