Nintendo has suspended service of its 3DS messaging app, Swapnote, according to a notice on the company's website, stating that some users, including minors, have been using the app with SpotPass to exchange offensive material.
"Nintendo has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards and then using Swapnote (known as Nintendo Letter Box in other regions) to exchange offensive material," the statement reads. "Nintendo has been investigating ways of preventing this and determined it is best to stop the SpotPass feature of Swapnote because it allows direct exchange of photos and was actively misused."
The Swapnote and Special Notes services were suspended as of Oct. 31 at 7:00 p.m. PT in all regions were the service was live, barring the ability to send and receive notes using SpotPass. The company felt it was important to suspend the features due to the large number of minors who use the app, saying it wants "to provide a positive experience for all consumers and limit the risk of any inappropriate activity or misuse of a service."
According to Nintendo, it will endeavor to highlight the system's Parental Control features to more consumers.
Nintendo introduced photo sharing features to Swapnote when it updated the app in April. Along with the ability to filter notes by users and favorites, and other features, the update allowed users to attach photos and audio files to messages.
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Square Enix's CTO and Final Fantasy 14 tech director has left the company
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- PLAYSTATION WONT SIGN IN
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction