An exhibition of 25 playable indie games is being launched by the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, N.Y.
"Indie Essentials: 25 Must-Play Video Games" is being organized in partnership with IndieCade and will feature the award-winners from this week's IndieCade: International Festival of Independent Games, which is taking place in Los Angeles on Oct. 5 and 6. Some awards have already been announced including Cardboard Computer's Kentucky Route Zero and Blendo Games' Quadrilateral Cowboy (pictured).
Indie Essentials opens Dec.14, and will be on view through Mar. 2, 2014, in the Museum's third-floor changing exhibitions gallery. A complete list of games due to be featured will be released by the end of October.
"A thriving independent game community is essential to the health and growth of the video game industry," said the Museum's Carl Goodman. "This exhibition and the subsequent festival will allow the emerging design community, as well as the public, to not only play these innovative, genre-busting games, but to interact with their makers."
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay